Enrollment Rates and Registration
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do
than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor.
Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Mark Twain
Please read the detailed content of this page carefully!
We hope you will join us on our 2018 adventure. Each year we are gratified at the strong community that forms among our writers. In addition to participants who bring an eagerness to improve writing skills and re-awaken creativity, successful participants are typically:
- curious and eager to meet other like-minded travelers,
- flexible in pre-arranged group activities
- adaptable in new situations and ancient surroundings,
- positive and appreciative, willing to ask questions and enter discussions,
- open to a culture different from home–new foods, landscape, customs,
- sure-footed and agile: able to travel lightly and manage luggage unaided while walking and while ascending and descending trains and busses; able to walk at a normal pace, ascend staircases and steep roads, and maintain balance on rough cobblestones.
Please contact Kathryn if you have questions or concerns about any facet of the retreat.
Enrollment is open for our for the 2018 program. To provide an optimal experience for everyone, the retreat is limited to ten writers. The program usually fills quickly, so early registration is highly recommended. Your non-refundable deposit and completion of registration process guarantee your place.
2018 Enrollment: $3400
We have worked hard to keep enrollment costs down. Because we have changed our venue to the Royal Victorian Hotel for 2018, the enrollment has increased from 2017.
- Transport from central Milan to Varenna,
- Daily instruction, workshop and materials; at least one personal consultation with the instructor.
- Six nights single occupancy accommodation in a three star hotel
- Breakfast daily, five evening meals.
- Afternoon activities and excursions with guide and translator; all entry fees.
NOTE: Enrollment Rate does not include flights to and from Italy or transport from the Milan Malpensa Airport into central Milan.
Non-writing companions: Since much of the week involves social contact, our writers value the opportunity for the solitude afforded by a single-occupancy room. An important part of the program includes time to process the instructional experience and write in solitude. In rare cases, companions can be accommodated; contact Kathryn for further information.
- Contact Kathryn via email to request information about the enrollment process, application documents, and payment procedure. The enrollment process is two-fold: It involves filling out a Registration Form and submitting a written response to a specific question along with a description of your writing interest and experience. It also entails a chat on Skype or FaceTime so we can meet you and explain more about the venue and activity in Varenna.
- Non-Refundable Deposit: The non-refundable deposit of $700 will secure your place in the retreat.
- Balance of the enrollment fee is due June 10, 2018. The deposit and subsequent balance of the Enrollment Fee will be refunded only if Italy, in Other Words cancels the retreat.
- Buying Airfare: Please wait to purchase non-refundable airline tickets until we confirm minimum enrollment.
- Retreat Confirmation Date: At the latest, we will confirm the program enrollment by July 15, 2018.
- Late Enrollment: Once the enrollment is full, you may ask to be added to a waiting list.
- Travel Insurance is required.