Enrollment Rates and Registration
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do
than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor.
Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Mark Twain
Please read the detailed content of this page carefully!
We hope you will join us on our 2016 adventure. Each summer we are gratified at the strong community that forms among our writers. In addition to participants who bring an eagerness to improve writing skills and re-awaken creativity, successful participants are typically:
- curious and eager to meet other like-minded travelers,
- willing to work cooperatively in pre-arranged group plans
- flexible in new situations; adaptable to ancient surroundings,
- positive and appreciative, willing to ask questions and enter discussions,
- open to a culture different from home–new foods, landscape, customs,
- sure-footed and agile: able to travel lightly and manage luggage unaided while walking and while ascending and descending trains and busses; able to walk at a normal pace, ascend staircases and steep roads, and maintain balance on rough cobblestones.
Please contact Kathryn if you have questions or concerns about any facet of the retreat.
Enrollment for the 2016 program is open and accepted on a first-received basis. To provide an optimal experience for everyone, the retreat is limited to ten writers. The program usually fills quickly, so early registration is highly recommended. Your non-refundable deposit guarantees your place.
2016 Enrollment Rates: We have been recently informed that a critical government meeting needs to be held at Villa Monastero during the week of our original 2016 dates; thus, we have to change our retreat to September 11–17, 2016. The Villa has accommodated this inconvenience with discounted rates for this year only which allows pass on some savings to you, reflected in the rates below.
$2,700 for participants paying from the U. S.
$2,800 for participants paying from outside the U. S.
Enrollment Rate includes:
- Transport from Milano to Varenna,
- Daily instruction, workshop and materials; at least one personal consultation with the instructor.
- Six nights single occupancy accommodation at Villa Monastero
- Breakfast and lunch daily. Sunday, Wednesday and Friday night dinners.
- Afternoon activities and excursions with guide and translator; all entry fees.
NOTE: Enrollment Rate does not include transportation to and from Itlay.
Non-writing companions: Since much of the week involves social contact, our writers value the opportunity for the solitude afforded by a single-occupancy room; an important part of the program includes time to process the instructional experience and write in solitude. In rare cases, companions can be accommodated; contact Kathryn for further information.
- Contact Kathryn via email to request information about the enrollment process, application documents, and payment procedure. The enrollment process is two-fold: It involves submitting a writing response to a specific topic along with a description of your writing interest and experience. It also entails a chat on Skype or FaceTime so we can meet you and explain more about the venue and activity in Varenna.
- Non-Refundable Deposit: The non-refundable deposit of $700 will secure your place in the retreat. Early Enrollment deposits made before April 8, 2016, will earn a discount of $100.00 on the balance of the enrollment fee.
- Balance of the enrollment fee: due June 10, 2016. The deposit and subsequent balance of the Enrollment Fee will be refunded only if Italy, in Other Words cancels the retreat.
- Buying Airfare: Please wait to purchase non-refundable airline tickets (to Milan-Malpensa) until we confirm minimum enrollment (unless you are planning on travel to Italy whether or not the retreat takes place).
- Retreat Confirmation Date: At the latest, we will confirm the program enrollment by July 15, 2016.
- Late Enrollment: Once the enrollment is full, you may be asked to be added to a waiting list.
- Travel Insurance: Although it’s not required, we strongly recommend that you purchase travel and trip cancellation insurance in case of illness or any other unanticipated circumstances.