Enrollment Rates and Registration
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do
than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor.
Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Mark Twain
Please read the detailed content of this page carefully.
We hope you will join us on our 2015 adventure. Each summer we are gratified at the strong community that forms among our writers. In addition to participants who bring an eagerness to improve writing skills and re-awaken creativity, successful participants are typically:
- curious and eager to meet other like-minded travelers,
- flexible in new situations; adaptable to ancient surroundings,
- positive and appreciative, willing to ask questions and enter discussions,
- open to a culture different from home–new foods, landscape, customs,
- able to travel lightly and manage luggage unaided,
- sure-footed and agile (many of Varenna’s rough stone pathways involve rather steep climbs).
Please contact Kathryn if you have questions or concerns about any facet of the retreat.
Enrollment for the 2015 program is open and accepted on a first-received basis. To provide an optimal experience for everyone, the retreat is limited to ten writers. The program usually fills quickly, so early registration is highly recommended. Your non-refundable deposit guarantees your place.
Rates: We have worked to keep our costs down and, indeed, these are lower than the 2014 rates.
$3,150 for participants paying from the U. S.
$3,250 for participants paying from outside the U. S.
Please see below for discounts on Enrollment Rates
Enrollment Rate includes:
- Transport from Milano to Varenna ,
- Five mornings of instruction, workshop and materials; at least one personal consultation with the instructor.
- Six nights single occupancy accommodation at Villa Monastero
- Two meals daily—breakfast and either lunch or an evening meal with wine,
- Afternoon activities and excursions with guide and translator; all entry fees.
NOTE: Enrollment Rate does not include transportation to and from Itlay.
Non-writing companions: Since much of the week involves social contact, our writers value the opportunity for the solitude afforded by a single-occupancy room; an important part of the program includes time to process the instructional experience. However, based on available accommodations, it may be possible to welcome companions who do not attend workshop sessions or receive instruction If there is room, these companions would benefit from all else: accommodations, meals, and cultural excursions. However, because Varenna is small, it is critical that companions be independent travelers prepared to hike, paint, or photograph, for example, during the morning workshop time period.
- Enrollment Contract: Reserve your place in the retreat by filling out the two-page Enrollment Contract found here. This requires that you fill out the form, print it, sign it, scan it, and return it to Kathryn at firstname.lastname@example.org as an attachment. Enrollment Contracts received first will have first choice of a guest room. All rooms have lake views and are the same price, but some are larger than others and feature antique furniture. The other rooms have plain furnishings.
- Non-Refundable Deposit: Make the non-refundable deposit of $700 via PayPal, below. Deposits made before May 1, 2015, will earn a discount of $100.00 on the balance of the enrollment fee. If you have to cancel, for whatever reason, and we fill the enrollment of ten writers, we will hold your deposit for you to use for the 2016 program.
- Balance of the enrollment fee: due June 15, 2015. The balance may be paid by a U. S. check for a $50.00 discount. Contact Kathryn for an address.
- The deposit and subsequent balance of the Enrollment Fee will be refunded only if Italy, in Other Words cancels the workshop.
- Buying Airfare: Please wait to purchase non-refundable airline tickets until we confirm minimum enrollment (unless you are planning on travel to Italy whether or not the retreat takes place).
- Retreat Confirmation Date: At the latest, we will confirm the program enrollment by July 15, 2015.
- Late Enrollment: Once the enrollment is full, you may be asked to be added to a waiting list. Please contact Kathryn before paying the deposit after May 1, 2015.
- Travel Insurance: Although it’s not required, we strongly recommend that you purchase travel and trip cancellation insurance in case of illness or any other unanticipated circumstances.